About
Statement of Faith

 

We Believe and Teach

God is the Creator of all things and He continues to preserve and provide for His creation.

God created Adam and Eve “in His image” (Genesis 1:27).  Therefore they were perfect and without sin.  However, they lost this perfection through their willful disobedience of their creator. (Genesis 3:1-15)

Because of that sinful rebellion, every human being is now born with this sinful condition, which is also called “original sin”. (John 3:6)

Despite our sinfulness, “God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son . . “ (John 3:16).  God loves us so much that He laid our sin, guilt and punishment on His very own Son, Jesus Christ. (II Corinthians 5:21)

Read more...
 
History

 

1926 -The first beginnings of this two-part congregation was in 1926, when a young Pastor, the Rev. Paul Brauer, of Prior Lake, gathered a small group of Lutherans for worship and Sunday School in a little real estate office building on the corner of Bloomington Avenue and 66th street.

1928 -The building, "House of Mercy" was actually a part of a congregation, Mt. Zion Lutheran Church, which had another chapel located on 57th Street and 10th Avenue, built in 1928, when a congregation had been formed. A congregation was organized and a small chapel was built at 57th Street and 10th Avenue, two blocks from the nearest house. (A District official's wife asked, "Why build way out here?" Answer: "We build churches in the country, too.") The present Mt. Zion worships in a beautiful church at 57th Street and Chicago. Difficulty in travel over the swamp and around the lakes, and a small increase in numbers, caused the south-siders" to begin worship services in the Richfield School gym and plan their own building. Since most of the officers of Mt. Zion were "south-siders".

January 29, 1933 - That this group organized their own congregation, House of Mercy

March 7, 1934 - The name Mount Calvary Lutheran Church was chosen as the official name.

Banquet in 1936, and, reaffirmed in 1941 with an Anniversary Service, this day of dedication is designated as the birth date of the congregation. To some this may seem a simple matter, but our history is different and its beginnings less precise.

1940 - when the world was plunging into the Great War, the time to move forward came again. The chapel was moved and placed in a basement, which was also extended to the south for a future larger building. Services were held in the basement.

Read more...
 
Map & Directions

Our address is 6541 16th Avenue South, Richfield, MN 55423. We are conveniently located on E. 66th Street, just west of Cedar Ave. and the Target and Home Depot retail development. View Map for directions.

 

Read more...
 
Handicap Elevator Access

Handicap access to the Sanctuary or the Lower Level of the Church is available on the South end of the Church building.